Rights and Wrongs

, Kristin Theresa Jaroma, Leave a comment

The principles of limited government in the United States’ Constitution, along with the natural laws and moral principles that preceded the Constitution, are now increasingly being violated, asserted Terence Jeffrey, author of Control Freaks: 7 Ways Liberals Plan to Ruin Your Life, at The Heritage Foundation Bloggers Briefing on August 3, 2010.

“When we make the major decisions in our lives, we are free,” Jeffrey avers. “When someone else makes them, we are not free. When the government makes them, we live in tyranny.”

These decisions involve the place where one lives, how one moves, personal income, retirement, property usage, number of children in the family, radio choice, books one reads, what one teaches his own children, and whether one lives or dies. For example, in recently passed health care legislation, “Liberals are using government power to make the greatest inroads,” Jeffrey argues.

Moreover, Jeffrey argues in his book that both Social Security and the Welfare state are unconstitutional. Nevertheless, a majority of Americans over the age of 65 rely on the federal government for welfare benefits and a large portion of their income.

The fiscal reality America is facing is seen in the continuing national debt in trillions of dollars. By the end of fiscal year 2009, the federal government was faced with 61.9 trillion dollars in “unfunded liabilities,” Jeffrey declared. This figure includes the entire national debt plus all entitlement benefits, such as Social Security and Medicare, not met by the tax revenue to pay for those benefits. This sum amounts to $200,000 for every man, woman, and child in America.

Jeffrey remarked that financial reports estimate that by 2019, 92% of all tax revenue will be needed just to pay off the interest on the national debt and entitlement benefits, leaving a margin of 8% of revenue to fund all the major federal government departments that run the country. This means that our government will be forced to borrow “massive amounts” of money and in “ever greater amounts.”

Jeffrey goes on to explain that at the root of this problem there “is the desire of people in government to make Americans dependent on the government rather than independent and self-sufficient and self-reliant.”

He states that the crisis is coming whether we want it or not; however, he hopes that on the opposite front, America comes “back to the idea of a country that is made up of individuals and families who are self-reliant and take care of themselves.”

The payoff for the Left can be a number of things, one being a “certain environmental vision” that sees economic and population growth as a “threat.”

Kristin Theresa Jaroma is an intern at the American Journalism Center, a training program run by Accuracy in Media and Accuracy in Academia.


Leave a Reply

(*) Required, Your email will not be published