Are North Carolina Speech Therapists Overcredentialed?

, Malcolm A. Kline, Leave a comment

That’s what one tar heel state native seems to allege. “Alicia Moran is a junior at Bob Jones University in South Carolina, studying to get her bachelor’s degree in communications disorders,” Lindsay Marchello writes in The Carolina Journal. “She wants to return to her home state of North Carolina to work, but the licensing scheme here may keep her away.”

“In North Carolina, a licensed speech-language pathology assistant requires earning a bachelor’s degree and completing six additional courses. Getting licensed as a speech pathologist or an audiologist in North Carolina requires even more schooling for a master’s degree or a doctorate.”

“In South Carolina, Moran could graduate and go right to work.”