Over on The Imaginative Conservative blog, Jessica Hooten Wilson has come up with a top 10 reading list for undergrads.
If you look it over, you might find that underclassmen at, say, Hillsdale, would be more inclined to accumulate this library than the average Ivy Leaguer. Here is Jessica’s list:
1. Dante’s The Divine Comedy
2. Fyodor Dostoevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov
3. St. Augustine’s Confessions
4. Virgil’s The Aeneid
5. Shakespeare’s Richard III
6. John Milton’s Paradise Lost
7. Flannery O’Connor’s Complete Stories
8. Frederick Douglass’s Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
9. Gerard Manley Hopkins’s Poetry
10. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s The Gulag Archipelago
Jessica Hooten Wilson is Associate Professor of Literature and Creative Writing at John Brown University. She is also associate director of the honors program there.