The Heritage Foundation recently showed a documentary entitled “One Generation Away: the Erosion of Religious Liberty.” This bold documentary emphasized the importance of preserving our natural liberties, and expressed fear that they could easily be taken away as a secular government grows.
EcoLight Studios, a Christian movie company owned by former presidential candidate Rick Santorum, will distribute the film in theatres this September to convey an important message—freedom can be taken away far easier than it is given. Former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum presented the film at the Heritage event, saying that “The fight to protect our religious freedom is paramount to our country’s future prosperity.”
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction,” President Reagan repeatedly said. The documentary displays Reagan’s famous quote to inspire everyone to be more proactive in preventing the demise of liberty.
The movie highlights important examples of an apparent war on religious freedom:
- The efforts of the ACLU to remove the cross atop the Mt. Soledad war memorial in San Diego;
- The refusal of wedding service providers in Oregon and the state of Washington to serve same-sex couples;
- The refusal of the Hobby Lobby chain to provide abortifacient coverage to their employees even while offering to underwrite other forms of contraception;
- Restrictions placed on U. S. military chaplains by the Obama Administration; and
- High school cheerleaders in Koontz, Texas who put biblical verses on banners.
The message of the film is clear and direct. No matter your religion or lack thereof, it is important to protect these liberties because they are the key to maintaining our independence from the government.